List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KFormula and fonts
From:       Richard =?iso-8859-1?q?L=E4rk=E4ng?= <nouseforaname () home ! se>
Date:       2004-11-16 18:32:50

Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 November 2004 16:54, Richard Lärkäng wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
> (...)
>>
>> Also, does the ESSTIX fonts work for you? It's quite strange because most
>> of the fonts work for me, but nr 9 to 12 (which is the fonts with Greek
>> letters) doesn't work for me in KDE at all, but for example with
>> gnome-character-map I can see them without a problem.
>
>> Should I mail qt-bugs
>> about it?
>
> I would test more before reporting. My experience with the RTF import
> filter shows me that Qt 3.3 seems to be more picky about font handling.
>
> May be you can use and modify the Qt example qfd to try to find if there
> is really a problem.

Thanks for telling me about qfd, the only program I could find which use qt
was kcharselect, but that one replaces characters it can't find with
characters from other fonts, so it wasn't very helpful.

When running qfd it doesn't show the fonts that I have problems with in the
font-selector, but it shows the other ESSTIX fonts. And when modifying it to
load esstixten on startup it won't work, it will just display the default
font, but trying with for example esstixone it will load that one on startup.

The fonts I have problems with do show up in the KDE font-dialog, and also
with QFontDatabase::families, but not in the QT font-dialog. If I understand
the code correctly, the QT font-dialog will do some additional checking,
while the KDE font-dialog just uses QFontDatabase::families, so it won't
check if it will be able to use them.

Also, when selecting esstixten in for example kate, it will use some fallback
font instead, while selecting it in gedit it will work.

So I do think it's a qt problem, but it would be nice if someone else could
test it too, and see if they get the same results.

>> QFontInfo(QFont("esstixten")).family() returns QString::null, so it seems
>> like qt isn't able to load it at all.
>
> Can you try to use QFont::exactMatch instead of the tests with
> QFontInfo(QFont("esstixten")).family() (It is not sure to be better, the
> result could be worse too.)

Oh, yes I should probably have used that in the patch too, but yes it will
give the same results when trying to load the font.

Richard Lärkäng