List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: modifying MathML files in kformula results in possible loss of
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2004-11-16 17:35:36

On Tuesday 16 November 2004 16:38, Jean Krohn wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> If MathML is to be the file format for kformula, it should IMHO be possible
> to modify such files without fear of loss of data. e.g. kformula should
> keep the distinction between presentation and content elements.
> Basically, if you open a MathML document in kformula and then save it in
> another file, I think the only differences between the XML in the two files
> should be cosmetic (which is not the case ATM).

As far as I have understood, any OASIS document handling application should
support unknown document parts. So if we need it for OASIS, you can implement
it for MathML too.

> This issue arises from the fact that much of the information in a MathML
> file cannot be exactly encoded in the current internal representation of a
> formula.
> Therefore, I think the internal representation of a formula should be
> changed to a MathML-based one.
> Note that modification without loss of data of MathML files becomes then
> achievable even without a complete implementation of the standard, by
> conserving unsupported branches unmodified in an "UnknownElement" object.
>
> Is this a stupid idea ?
> If not, is someone already doing this ?
> If not, may I have a go at it ?

For my part, you can do it. Just be careful to coordinate with Laurent, as he
plans to re-write the MathML/OASIS loading code, as far as I have understood.

Have a nice day!