List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Filter Chains -- MSOD to SVG to Karbon
From:       Werner Trobin <trobin () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-11-03 15:25:58

On Wednesday 03 November 2004 00:34, Michael Goldish wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 November 2004 09:26, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > I do not know if my idea with SVG is good, but that could be a way too to
> > solve the problem: to have code outside the filter system to handle MSOD
> > to SVG and when you have the SVG data, you can pass it to Karbon with the
> > current filter system (assuming it is needed.)
>
> Do I have to learn anything about filter chains in order to create the
> chain SVG->MSOD->Karbon or is it done automatically when the required
> filters (MSOD->Karbon and SVG->MSOD) are present? I've tried making a
> SVG->MSOD filter template and I expected Karbon to be able to import MSOD,
> but it couldn't. Is there some tutorial on this subject?

Are you sure that you mean SVG -> MSOD -> Karbon instead of MSOD -> SVG ->
Karbon?

Apart from that: yes, it should work. You can easily check that, using the
filter chain tests in lib/kofficecore/tests (filterchain_test and
filter_graph).
The filterchain_test performs some basic tests on the graph algorithms, the
filter_graph tool can be used to create a visual representation of the whole
mimetype/filter graph. All you need to to is to compile them using "make
test" and run them.

If the graphviz package[1] is installed on your machine you can run "dot"
after running filter_graph to get a .png of the graph. "make dot" also works,
if "dot" is in the path.

Ciao,
Werner

[1] http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/graphviz/