List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [Patch] better MathML input filter for kformula & questions
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2004-10-22 7:32:00

On Friday 22 October 2004 04:25, Jean Krohn wrote:

Here is my quick answer, so that you can continue to work. (Sorry that I
cannot take much time today to answer you.)

> -I basically just added support for new operators for the "apply" content
> tag (divide, power, abs, not, implies).

Perhaps it should be moved in a separate function to keep the code readable
(but that can be done later too).

> -I also added systematic explicit brackets around "apply"s to compensate
> for the loss of the implicit ones; so, while  the meaning of the expression
> is conserved, the result gets rather crowded... (e.g. (((3 * 2) + (4^2))/5)
> ) A solution would be to parse the whole "apply" expression and to put the
> brackets accordingly, but, in the meantime, what behavior is preferred?

The prefered behaviour is that it works. If you need temporary sub-optimal
behaviours, it is still better than not working at all.

Perhaps you can add a
### TODO
comment to be sure to document that there is still something to do. (Or create
a bug report or whatever... mailing lists are not enough, as it is forgotten
too easily.)

> -I found that adding a checklist of operators in "apply" clarified what was
> left to do. Is this something I could generalise in
> lib/kformula/kformulamathmlread.cc (the MathML input filter) ?

If you want, yes.

But may be you would want to have it as separate file. For some filters it has
been done in the corresponding status.html files, but as KFormula's filters
has not any.

> I also attached a MathML file with stuff that didn't work before and works
> now (the one pompously called testsuite.mml :-)).

You can add such files in the kofficetests module.

> This is for a start, but I'd like to know if this is suitable before I do
> some more (is it at all useful? did I get something completely wrong?

It seems right, as far as I can tell on first glance.

> does
> my indenting suck? :-)).

From the patch, it would seem that you have changed the indent but I do not
know if it is the case or not.

> Cheers,
> Jean

Have a nice day!

PS.: I do not know if you know it. The goal for KOffice 1.4, is to reach the
level of MathML 1.01, as it is what OpenOffice knows too. Supporting MathML 2
is not a priority goal (even if the export filter claims to export MathML 2.)