List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Wannabe-developer requests some help;
From:       "HLV Kwint" <sludink () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-10-09 12:15:39

Hi, I'm Hans Kwint, living in the Netherlands, and new to this list.
I'd like to help KOffice, and I have thought out a practical task for myself
already, concerning KWord-filters (If you are not concerned at all with
KWord filters, I think you can skip this post). I'll explain in the next
paragraph:

Yesterday I read a discussion concerning the language of openoffice filters.
There was a 'problem', the filters converting the openoffice-format to the
MS-word format were documented in Deutsch (German), and poorly written (they
are a mess?) if some people in the discussion are right.

It's a good idea to have some nice MS-filters, I think, since the rest of
the world isn't convinced they should stick to OASIS-formats (everybody
knows MS policies I think).
So the thing I'd like to do, is (I'll begin small), get the source of those
openoffice-filters, and translate the German comments to English to start
with. After I translated the comments, maybe I know something about how the
filters are built up.
So, (I don't know in which programming language those filters are made up),
maybe I can then try to to structurize them a bit (pretty amibious maybe,
but one has to have some ambitions I think).
Hopefully, if I understand a bit of the thing, I can try to write a filter
for koffice based upon that openoffice filter. However, I don't know if we
can just use that filter without restrictions, but since openoffice is
open-source, I think it's better to use their filter instead of 'reinventing
the wheel'.

After that, the most ambitious part, I'd like to help making a filter from
OASIS format to MS-word format. I think this is something KOffice users
defenitly want.

Now my problems:
1) I don't know how to get the openoffice filters, whith those German
comments. Off course, I could join an openoffice-mailing list too, or
install openoffice, but maybe an easier way is available? Does somebody have
contacts whith the openoffice developers?
2) I'm an native-dutch speaker, and don't know how much time I can spend on
the thing and how big the document is. In short, it coult take me some time.
3) I'm only a beginning programmer. I know the ***very*** basic idea of C++,
and that same very basic idea of python as well. So, my programming skills
are low.
4) I'm just beginning somewhere, at the moment I don't know much about
KOffice. But instead of reading and waiting, I just wanted to start working
somewhere, I hope this is more efficient.

So, if somebody could help me out, helping me to make a start somewhere, it
would be appreciated by me.

Thank you in advance, and I look forward to hearing from someone what I
could do!