List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Solution for absurd filter chains
From:       Werner Trobin <trobin () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-10-03 15:01:57

On Sunday 03 October 2004 16:54, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> On Sunday 03 October 2004 16:16, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > As I explained a year ago, a weight for each filter, and a maximum weight
>
> Sorry, I am not aware that this was raised a year ago. At least the solution
> was not implemented.
>
> > filter-chain can take is the easiest and best solution to this problem.
> > With each filter getting an individual weight, its very powerful.
>
> How do you fix the problem then not to have for example KSpread -> plain
text
> -> KWord -> Latex with weights? How can you change all plain text filter to
> have that?
>
> As far as I know the weight is there to prioritize things, not to forbid
> absurd filter chains.

Well, right now the weight is just used to find the best path, but it should
be easy to add another if statement that drops a (otherwise valid) chain if
the accumulated weight is above a certain threshold. Then all you have to do
is to make the weight of all plain text filters exactly the threshold. If one
more filter is added the chain is invalid.

Ciao,
Werner, who unfortunately doesn't have the time to do that himself :-(