List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: koffice/kspread
From:       Tomas Mecir <mecirt () gmail ! com>
Date:       2004-09-10 12:24:57

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 19:04:39 +0200, Raphael Langerhorst
<raphael-langerhorst@gmx.at> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I finally got time to read through DESIGN.html. I pretty much like
> most/all? ideas and I think I could help for example with "Format
> Storage". This is also where I think a few special case questions are
> still open. What if I have a range with one format and just a few
> cells in this range have a different format (say... a different
> font). Will the range then be split or should we override the
> specific cell(s) with another layer - so we would have sth. like
> this:
>
> z=0: Range: A1:C5: Format: font=arial
> z=1: Cell B2: Format: font=luxi sans
> (or inverted depth... whatever)
>
> meaning that for the whole range A1:C5 the font is arial but for cell
> B2 this setting is replaced with luxi sans.
>
> I think in many cases this could be more efficient than splitting the
> area. In addition we could check every now and then if it would be
> better to split an area if it gets too fragmented...
>
> What do you think?

Hm, not quite sure if only special cases are open - the whole thing is
kinda open as of now - I for one cannot imagine how this thing should
work efficiently. Also, I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble storing
ranges an'all, as we'll lose that information after save+load anyways.
This obviously is one of things that still need further discussing. I
hope Ariya can clarify some issues here, as this was his idea, but
somehow I have this strange feeling that he's not 100% sure about all
this either - but I could be wrong ;)

> PS: about timeline: I would like to work on this formatting thing and
> I guess I would be able to spend time on it from late September
> onwards (until it's finished hopefully). Another fields of interest
> could be Document/View Architecture, Selection handling or Repaint
> Triggering although I guess the latter two require some deeper
> knowledge of the workings of KSpread (which - in general - I do not
> posess yet).

Well, an important thing to keep in mind is that restriction, that CVS
HEAD should be usable at all times - that's why the big parts of
redesigning shall happen in a separate branch. Are you 100% sure that
you'll be able to keep CVS HEAD usable? Otherwise, if this is what you
want to help with, then it might be a good time to repoen that
should-we-branch-now issue again ;)

/ Tomas