List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Minutes of the akademy koffice meeting
From:       Raphael Langerhorst <raphael-langerhorst () gmx ! at>
Date:       2004-09-02 12:59:27

On Thursday 02 September 2004 12:44, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 28, 2004 at 04:08:14PM +0200, Tomas Mecir wrote:
> > On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 20:53:16 +0200, Thomas Zander <zander@kde.org>
wrote:

> > > I think I suggested to have a make-it-cool-branch for the huge
> > > changes in kspread to not release those changes in the KOffice
> > > version which supplies OASIS file-formats.
> > > The idea on my side was that the kspread developers would not
> > > be able to have a correctly running application in CVS HEAD for
> > > some time; if they are confident that kspread can be usable the
> > > whole time I would suggest to do the gradual improvements in
> > > such a way that the whole of KSpread can be considered bug-free
> > > (more or less) between each change. If the kspread developers
> > > feel that kspread will be unstable for quite some time I feel a
> > > make-it-cool branch would be a better way.
> >
> > Well, in the weeks to come, we mostly plan to prepare for the big
> > stuff - split big files into separate classes and so... Hence,
> > we'll probably be able to keep KSpread stable for some time, but
> > on the other hand, there won't be many new features, if any. So,
> > I'm unsure here... Let's see what Ariya says ;)
>
> Current CVS (with kde33) makes kspread crash as soon as I opened a
> csv document. (possibly any document :)

You can open any document (that is not in the KSpread format) and it
will crash(!).

I already added debug code to where I expect the app to crash, just
started a recompile (Kexi should work now).

I think the general problem is that the view code expects a document
to be loaded.

> I suggest to add unit tests for the new design parst as soon as
> possible in the design process. The eliminates recurring and often
> unneded bugs which leave kspread unusable for people just grabbing
> the current CVS.

I very much agree with that. Ariya, do you have specific ideas for
implementing tests?

--
G System, the evolving universe - http://www.g-system.at