List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Question
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-08-27 20:02:00

On Friday 27 August 2004 21:23, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 August 2004 06:32, Kasirajan M wrote:
> > Sir,
> >
> >  	Can I make the Qt or Applications to use
> > character offset rather than glyph offset?
> >
> >  	Why because, when I check spelling for indian
> > langauges and when I perform find operation over indian
> > language content,I am facing pproblem(The reason is that
> > one character is having more than one glyphs in indian
> > languages).
>
> From my understaning of the typhographical stuff; this statement is
> incorrect.
> One glyph is one graphical mark and while that can take multiple keystrokes
> it is a single unit on screen and therefor marks one 'character' as you
> would see it in Indian languages.

No, the keystrokes each input one 'character', and the grouping into glyphs
only happens during painting [unlike when entering chinese].
So the spellchecker is given the raw characters... obviously, since that's
the only thing unicode can express. I think the whole problem here is
rather in the spell-checkers (ispell/aspell) or their configuration in koffice
(using the right encoding, e.g. utf-8)