List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: commiting a patch
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2004-08-26 19:23:32

On Thursday 26 August 2004 20:28, p.stirnweiss_koffice@bluewin.ch wrote:
> >-- Message original --
>
> From: Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg@snafu.de>
>
> >To: For developer's discussion about KOffice <koffice-devel@mail.kde.org>
> >Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 20:09:26 +0200
> >Subject: Re: commiting a patch
> >

> >CVS oinly works with files, so there is not any way to commit directly a
> >
> >patch.
> >
> >For doing something like you want, there are 2 possible ways:
> >- modify the code, create the patch, look at the patch and see what you
>
> want
>
> >to modify and change the file (not the patch) and start again the cycle
>
> until
>
> >you feel that you have want you want to commit. (That is the recommended
> >
> >way.)
> >
> >- the other way is especially useful when you have too much modified.
> > After
> >
> >creating the patch, use "cvs update -C" which loads back an unmodified
> >version of the file. Then you can either re-modify the file or patch the
> >
> >file.
>
> Actually, my problem is more the following:
> I am working on ui stuff (curently for the style manager). This is a long
> lasting project (for me at least) and I can have stuff in a pretty bad
> shape. And I do not want to commit this.
> However, in parallel I want to close easy todos or bugs (like changing
> findStyleShortcut to findStyleByShortcut) which can involve quite a lot of
> file.

If you have much disk space, you could perhaps have 2 KOffice: one long term
and another short term.

> So reverting what I am working on the long run is not really an option and
> what I want to commit (the patch) is not what I want to filter out.
> Perhaps, doing two diffs (the simple one and the big brocken one, update
> -C, apply the simple patch, commit the changes, then brake again my code
> with the big broken patch. Ok, that should work (it is a bit cumbersome but
> it might be the simplest way to do then). By the way, I read that
> subversion was better than CVS, is this true or is there still too much
> problems with it to use?

Subversion is more made for big projects and indeed would have advantages. The
big problem is that we need to switch the CVS data in the new format. (So
better let smaller projects first give feedback to Subversion before a big
project like KDE starts to migrate.)

But from what I have read about subversion, it would not solve your problem in
an easier way than CVS.

> Thanks for you answer
>
> Piere

Have a nice day!