List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Dialogs throughout KOffice
From:       Thomas Zander <TZander () factotummedia ! nl>
Date:       2004-08-22 20:43:36

On Sat, Aug 21, 2004 at 01:47:44PM +0200, p.stirnweiss_koffice@bluewin.ch wrote:
> In addition, Thomas said he knows how to do the ui stuff but not implement
> the extension class. My question is: is it necessary in a project like KOffice
> to subclass the forms?

The design of subclassing is easier then the alternatives IMO; it basically uses
the decoration pattern (use google if you don't know that one) to enrich the widget
with bindings and things like button handling.  Extending for that reason makes
perfect sense.

_using_ the generated widget class without extending it will only make it really
difficult to put values in the widgets and stuff like that cleanly from an OO
perspective.

> Is there a plan to implement all dialogs to this? I think it probably would
> be better to have all or none (for consistency and maintainability).

The thing here is that I _would_ be able to fix usability and visual issues when
they are .ui (widgets), which makes maintainability a major plus here..

--
Thomas Zander