List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KSpread re-design - early plan and so
From:       Tomas Mecir <mecirt () gmail ! com>
Date:       2004-08-19 15:06:49

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 16:45:29 +0200, Ariya Hidayat <ariya@kde.org> wrote:
> In principal I complete agree with the arrangement. My only concern is
> how we can do gradual changes instead of suddenly manage everything in a
> different way, which potentially leads to another problems.
>
> That's why in the past I have chosen to slowly change parts of KSpread
> without the need to break it in many places, for example code
> refactoring tab bar, implemention of KSpreadValue, d-pointer on classes
> (to help decoupling the implementation), moving of dialogs code to
> special subfolder, new KCommand-based commands with wrapper for
> KSpreadUndo, and so on. I guess if we can continue to go on this way, we
> can reach our objectives although it's slower, may require much more
> effort, and doesn't instantly satisfy the demand of better KSpread.

Well, looks like I'll do it this way in the beginnings as well, but
later on, there are changed that require principial changes of many
things, where it may be necessary to abandon the way of gradual
improvements. In addition, I won't be able to improve the main KSpread
code after it switches to Qt4 as I can't stay up-to-date enough, as
I've already mentioned in another discussion, so I can go for the more
complete redesigning at that time...

But until then, some gradual changes can happen. I plan to have a look
at dependency handling, memory usage of KSpreadCell and so on... But
first of all I plan to wait for a CVS account... ;)

/ Tomas