List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Article about OOo/KOffice/OASIS database
From:       Marco Fioretti <mfioretti () mclink ! it>
Date:       2004-07-09 8:19:01

> It seems you completely missed the essence of my post:
>
> "I do think the apprough to say plain-old-DBs are just not
> working for 'those users' is NOT the way to get public respect."

OK, let's check something before going on. What exactly do you
mean by plain-old-DBs?

Apart from that, I am not the one saying, or saying first that
what is available today is just not working for those users.

The OO.o lists are constantly flooded by requests to have something
at least as functional as MS Access (as in "the dBase files already there simply are \
not enough"), but NOT a RDBMS server connection, however easy it might be. Exactly to \
make the exchange of databases just as easy as it is to exchange text documents.

Bowing to this pressure, the OO.o developers have started to
look for a solution for 2.0. Until I stepped in, they were
oriented to something whose name escapes me now, but:

  requires Java
  doesn't solve the interoperability problem, ignoring all the
  other suites like KOffice which already have SQLite.

They have acknowledged the validity of my arguments, and now need
info to understand how to make the whole DB exchange process really
transparent to the end users. This is the information I am trying to
collect, see my other posts. Ideally, but yes, this is a separate
issue and my own personal hope, all this might eventually be another
OASIS level standard.

Thanks for your time,

Marco Fioretti