List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    KOffice's version strings
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2004-05-04 9:33:59

It seems that currently KOffice has 2 version strings:
- one defined in koffice/configure.in.in, which then gets in koffice/config.h
as VERSION
- one defined in koffice/lib/kofficecore/kofficeversion.h as
KOFFICE_VERSION_STRING

As the 2 string were unsynchronised (and still are, as unfortunately I chose
another string than the one existing), here are a few possible solutions:

- simply add comments not to forget to change the other one too.
- define KOFFICE_VERSION_STRING from VERSION
- remove KOFFICE_VERSION_STRING

I suppose that comments are needed anyway as kofficeversion.h defines also the
numeric values (1, 3 and 90) for the version.

Defining KOFFICE_VERSION_STRING from VERSION has the drawback to #include
<config.h>, which would make even more files to compile for a configuration
change. Also this might be a problem if kofficeversion.h is included from code
outside KOffice.

Removing KOFFICE_VERSION_STRING has the drawback that external code would not
have any idea anymore on which KOffice it tries to compile.

So I suppose that, unless I have missed something, only the solution with
adding comments remain.

Have a nice day!