List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: CC: Re: "new" wp for linux
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-04-14 16:19:54

On Wednesday 14 April 2004 17:32, Tomasz Grobelny wrote:

> > > /Times-Roman findfont 24 scalefont setfont
> > > 100 100 moveto (Setting width is not necessary. I must have
> > > misunderstood something.) show showpage
> >
> > When default sizing is used; no width is needed. Try to adjust the
> > kerning,
>
> kshow+kerning tables.

I meant manually set kerning; outside of the tables. Kerning for just one
char-pair; for example.

> > the scaling or whatever.  Framemaker allows you to select a line and
> > make it 97% width so that last word won't fall off.
> > Your solution would mean thats impossible.
>
> But does it reduce whitespace width, character width or scale entire
> characters?
Well; take a postscript line that has a start and an end and make the
integer for the end smaller; you'll see.
IIRC the chars themselves are also scaled.

> > Remember that the font you sent (in your postscript file) may be
> > ignored because a locally installed font of the same name is present.
> > I had a print with an Arial on paper, while I sent an Helvetica in the
> > postscript file. The printer just thought it should be Arial.
> > Stupid printer, but I am happy that the end lines were present to make
> > sure the sizing went right.
>
> 1. I'm not sure but isn't it a bug in PostScript interpreter?
Nope.

> 2. When printer substituted font and kept metrics (or at least overall
> width) in tact those two propably didn't fit. Setting string width is
> not a solution.

Thats a contradiction; setting the width will make the postscript
interpreter MAKE IT FIT, by scaling for example.
In my example the width really was a good solution since the text was
always a little deformed; but took the same space on paper. Nobody but a
graphics-designer would notice the difference.
And the only difference she spotted (again, in my example) was the
tell-tale differences between the 't' in an Helvetica and in the Arial
fonts. :)

- --
Thomas Zander