List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Faster saving
From:       David Faure <dfaure () klaralvdalens-datakonsult ! se>
Date:       2004-04-14 8:43:49

On Wednesday 14 April 2004 07:32, Thomas Zander wrote:

> > > It is XML, right? So why can't the styles go in at the end?
> >
> > Because it was defined that the styles are before the content in OO.
> >
> > (XML does not mean that you are allowed to do anything with your document.)
>
> Hmm?
>
> So;
> <root>
>     <foo>
>     </foo>
>     <styles>
>     </styles>
> </root>
>
> is wrong while:
>
> <root>
>     <styles>
>     </styles>
>     <foo>
>     </foo>
> </root>
>
> is correct?

It depends on how <root> is defined, i.e. whether its children have to be
ordered or not.
XML doesn't say anything about that, it's your DTD/XML schema/RelaxNG schema
that defines this.

> Then the spec does not take into account standard XML parsers, any DOM
> like parser can easily extract the styles section first from both documents.
> If the spec says the last is the only correct to save it, I think the spec
> should be changed.

I disagree. Having things in a certain order makes it MUCH easier to implement
If you're loading a document with SAX, you want to receive the automatic
styles before the body contents.

--
David Faure -- faure@kde.org, dfaure@klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Qt/KDE/KOffice developer