List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: CC: Re: "new" wp for linux
From:       Tomasz Grobelny <grotk () poczta ! onet ! pl>
Date:       2004-04-13 22:09:44

On Tuesday 13 of April 2004 23:34, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> There is an additional issue with Printer rendering that KWord and/or Qt
> must know the resolution of the printer.
> My best guess is that KWord-1.3 is currently using Printer rendering so
> there are still slight problems.
I doubt it since Qt prints through postscript files and that means it has no
knowledge about destination printer. IMO Qt implements Screen rendering and
KWord adds some improvements for WYSIWYG.

> That is, for KWord to work correctly, Qt needs to add what I have called
> PostScript font rendering.
And that means redesigning entire set of painting/font classes :-(. Why?
Because:
-Qt sets fixed width of strings in postscript files,
-QFont(Metrics) gives inaccurate metrics information,
-you can't order Qt to use only scalable fonts
-etc.

Tomek