List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: planning 1.3.1
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2004-03-27 16:01:07

On Saturday 27 March 2004 07:21, Marc Heyvaert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> BTW there is an article on KOffice 1.3 in the April
> issue of LINUX Magazine.
>
> The article is by "Frank Wieduwilt. It is very
> neutral, he just presents KOffice. In fact the only
> negative points he makes is about filters (and Karbon
> 14) Some quotes :

Seeing the quotes, it must be the translation of the article of LinuxUser
03.2004 (or vice-versa).

(...)

> (KWord)"The quality of these filters leaves a lot to
> be desired, unfortunately. They should work fine with
> simple documents, but with more complicated
> layouts,...,the result tend to bear little resemblance
> to the original document."

The elipsed part of the quote states that it was tested with tables. But
tables are not only a problem of the filters but first of KWord.

(...)

> (Kpresenter)"...(positive intro)...This said it is
> difficult to exchange data with other programs.
> ...supports ony SVG and is thus incapable of imorting
> files directly from other presentation programs. At
> least you can export files to OO Impress format
> without any trouble."

That is the part that I would like that someone explains it to me.

As far as I know, KPresenter has an import filter for OOImpress. And it has 4
stars in the filter status page.

So how does this fit together with the critic?

(...)

> The final paragraph sums up that there is also KChart
> and Kivio and that Kexi didn't make the KOffice 1.3
> deadline, but that there will be a stable release
> later this year and that Krita is incomplete.

That is also something I do not like in the article. It has been written a few
times that Kexi and Krita would not be part of KOffice 1.3. So why do as if
we would have promised them to be in.

> Marc

Have a nice day!

(...)