List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: OASIS file format for Krita
From:       dirk.schoenberger () sz-online ! de
Date:       2004-03-24 9:50:30

> Why? Because of the mental model that is needed? Because of the GUI that
> gets in your way? If not, then what?
> You do know that you can open the 'part' in a separate window as well;
> making the seperation to another 'part' stand out better visually.
>
> In this mail, and the email you sent 10 seconds after this one you fail to
> say why it is _wrong_ to have more features?
> So far all I get from you is that you personally think users won't need
> it.
> I can tell you that that is not going to convince anyone; you will have to
> do better then that.
>
> Please make me understand why you want this since I know from years of
> usability experience that dumbing down a user interface has NEVER ever
> helped to make the interface more usable. Developers always add new
> features later anyway.

Basically I have the following problems.

- the load time and memory to bring up a full scale image editor like
Krita (opposed to a simple image editor like KolourPaint). E.g. I don't
like to wait until the image editor loads its complex plugin system (not
sure about if Krita supports this yet, but I have seen other image
editors, like the Corel products)

- the GUI doesn't match if you use Krita in "component" mode. Most GUI
elements are implemented as tabs, and at least last time I checked, these
tabs are shown in the component area, instead of merged with the container
UI, e.g. via XMLGUI.

- the position and extents are handled by the part, istead of by the
container.
So basically you have a component of arbitrary size embedded in a parent
page which needs only specified sub-document. This also includes visual
representations like rulers. Components can also not span multiple pages
in the parent document.

Regards
Dirk