List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: OASIS file format for Krita
From:       dirk.schoenberger () sz-online ! de
Date:       2004-03-22 11:36:38

> On Monday 22 March 2004 11:57, dirk.schoenberger@sz-online.de wrote:
>> What I see currently is a collection of standalone applications which
>> basically share the same storage API and a shared import/export filter
>> architecture (did I miss something important?)

> Yes, embedding.
> And a shared window/document/view framework. And many dialogs, and
> support for units, etc. etc. I think we have quite a high level of
integration
> already, so I don't agree with you. But of course we can always share more
> functionality (like I did with libkotext).

Sorry for the missed elements.
Embedding - I think that's the basic problem I (and James?) have.
Basically I think embedding is to limited to be useful.
With limited I mean:
- it is to coarse grained. Basically an embedded element is a rectangular
element in a document which provides its own user interface (toolbars,
menubars) and its view. You cannot use its inner functionality, for say,
vector editing in KPresenter, so basically each KOffice component has to
implement its own rendering model.
- Its rendering model is limited to that of QPainter, i.e. basically
integer coordinates, pixel wise access and explicit transformations.
So you cannot simply create a more featureful rendering system (basically
something used in Karbon14/KSVG/KPainter - floating point coordinates,
implicit transformations for image and vector data)
- Embedded documents don't know enough about their parent document. E.g.
if you embed a spreadsheet component in KWord, the embedded document shows
a full KSpread document, when all you wanted would be a 10x10 spreadsheet
view / table grid.

- Dialogs and units - ok, this could belong to KOffice

- window/document/view framework - I think with the added concept of tools
and actions this would be useable also outside of KOffice, i.e. a good
candidate for kdelibs.
Just IMHO of course.

Regards
Dirk