List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Krita features
From:       dirk.schoenberger () sz-online ! de
Date:       2004-01-14 13:34:09

> On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>> And, if this was acceptable, we really need to focus on the application
>> for KOffice first.
>
> Even if we wouldn't agree to this plan, then it's still true that Krita
> first
> needs to become at least as powerful as, say, KPaint... The following
> features
> are still missing from Krita CVS:

Many of these features are already working in, say Kolourpaint.
What is needed is a powerful enough replacement for QPixmap (or
QPaintDevice),  which works on Krita's custom imaging data model.

The big problem in KolourPaint is that the GUI doesn't scale well. The app
as it is currently is a nice surrogate for say MS Paint, but there are
missing GUI parts which make it a bigger image editor application.

> Tools
> 	- freehand painting ('soft' pen, 'hard' pen, airbrush)

KolourPaint has basic shapes, i.e. rectangle,s circles, slanted lines and
the like.
Airbrush is also available.
Custom brushes are planned for future releases (mostly time restrictions,
I think)

> 	- shape painting (lines, rectangles, ellipses
Check

> 	- selection tools (rectangle works, but freehand, circle, fuzzy, magic
>               wand and by colour are missing)
Rectangle, ellipse work in KolourPaint (can't really check because
currently sllections is work in Progress)
Freehand should work
Fuzzy - don't know what is meant with this
Magic want - there exists a tool "colour eraser", I suppose this is similar?
Magic wand - don't know, never needed it

> 	- eraser
Check

> 	- convolve
Do you mean image filters?

> 	- fill
Check

> Gradients
If the application has an internal gradient model, I suppose it is just a
matter of writing an import filter.

> 	- filling with gradients
You could "borrow" from other sources. Gradient fill with QPaintDevice is
e.g. in kdenonbeat/kpainter/qpainterpaintdevice.

> 	- painting with gradients
Don't really know what is meant with this? Do you have a gradient brush or
something like that

> Patterns
> 	- filling with patterns

See gradients?

> Images and layers
> 	- scaling of images
KolourPaint: check

> 	- colour channel separation
Don't know, what is needed for this? Can you handle this by converting
your KPixmap to a 32 QImage and write the colour channels separately?

> 	- create brush or pattern from image

> User interface
> 	- All tool option dialogs
> 	- Preference dialog
> 	- Gradient dialog
>
> Core
> 	- KisPainter class (a QPainter analogue, more or less) doesn't
> 	  support more than a rectangular fill and a simple bitBlt from
> 	  one layer to another. Should be expanded and extended.

I would suggest to use normal QPainter, but instead provide a custom
QPaintDevice (like QPixmap)
If more rendering functionality is needed, use things like KPainter form
kdenonbeta)

> Knowns bugs
> 	- scrollbars don't follow image size/zoom size
Works in Kolourpaint

> 	- on startup, there is no default selected tool, brush and colour
should work in kolourpaint

Regards
Dirk