List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: The GIMP 2.0
From:       dirk.schoenberger () sz-online ! de
Date:       2004-01-14 8:53:00

>> I think this blurs the lines between the two types of applications, too
>> much for my preference, but hey, this is only me ;)
>
> This is the whole idea.  To have a totally integrated Office suite rather
> than separate
> applications.  Karbon and Krita can remain separate parts with shells so
> that you can use
> them separately, but for what I do, I need to be able to use both of them
> together.  My
> wish list item for The GIMP is to have all of the capabilities of Xfig
> added to it.
>
>> In a bitmap graphics editor you should only work with "pixels", at least
>> after initiali creation.
>
> Since I don't do very well at drawing freehand, I need the other tools.

I would need the tools, too, but I don't think a merger of the tools would
be a good idea...
Hey, lets merge KSpread and KWord too, because I would like to render
complex text layouts and tables with formulae / spreadsheets.
And the one or other chart out of the data from the spreadsheet...

There is a reason the component architecture exists.

That the current components doesn't mix especially well (no pagination, no
affine transformation of parts, no transparency effects of embedded
objects) is a deficiency of the rendering model, not of the component
model.

Regards
Dirk