List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: koffice api documentation
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2003-12-24 23:38:50

On Wednesday 24 December 2003 14:51, Marc Heyvaert wrote:
> Hello again
>
> --- Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg@snafu.de> wrote:
> > It has been written umpteenth times that the docapi
> > comments should be fixed.
> > However it is always the same problem as to where to
> > find the manpower.
>
> Thanks for the info, I'm relatively new to this list,
> so I'm not aware of all that has been said...

I am sorry. It seems that there was a misunderstanding. By "umpteenth" I did
not mean something like "you should have read it" but more "a few people
(including me) told that there wanted to do something but it only ended in a
few local cleanups."

> Just trying to do some coding, learning all the way

Thank you! We need new people wanting to code.

> :-)
>
> My point was and still is that the docs on the site
> are not complete, and that if the aim is to only
> document 'partially' that would not be sufficient for
> me to find my way around.

Yes, the more I think the more I suppose that we need to show the internal
classes too. (Especially at it is currently by chance if a internal class is
marked as internal or not.)

> I've experimented a bit with doxygen for myself, and
> when you put the 'EXTRACT_ALL' parameter to yes,
> things tend to look a bit unpolished. So I understand
> the need to code with documentation (via doxygen) in
> mind and the need to go over the existing source code
> as well. So as soon as I can get this CVS to work +
> having gained some experience, because a lot of the
> source code is simply undocumented..., I will work on
> that from time to time.

Yes, that is the work that was never done, especially not outside koffice/lib

Only a few cosmetic changes here and there were done. (I had for example try
to clena the doc of the KWord class KWFrame.) One problem is that comments
may be there but the comment do not respect the Doxygen convention and
therefore are not extracted. (Any volunteers to do fix this?)

> In the mean time I have compiled my own docs for
> KSpread, with all source code cross-referenced
> included. I have been browsing that this morning and
> for me it works great. But docs for KSpread alone are
> 22MB! (4,5 MB tarred). I attach to this message the
> doxygen configuration file that I used. If someone
> wants to try (you need doxygen of course), put it in a
> directory, edit the path that points to the source
> files and launch it with the command doxygen. Docs
> will be created in HTML in a subdirectory of the
> directory you launched the program from.

I will look at it,

> Marc

Happy Christmas.

(...)