List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Names for KOffice's MIME type icons
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2003-12-15 15:18:39

On Monday 15 December 2003 11:13, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > On Monday 15 December 2003 06:43, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> > (...)
> >
> >>This icon needs to be renamed.  So the obvious question is: What should
> >> the name of the KOffice MIME type icons be?  I would think that they
> >> should be called:
> >>
> >>	<app-name>-<suffix>.png
> >>
> >>If I were doing it, I would use the 3 character file extension as the
> >>suffix.  But, we don't seem to have 3 character file extensions for all
> >> of the Koffice applications (including Karbon14).
> >
> > Please do not assume that file extensions are always 3 letters long. What
> > is wrong with long extensions? (CP/M, MS-DOS and similar are history.)
>
> I guess that the only thing wrong with long ones is that they are long. :-)
>
> > Can the icon not be karbon-karbon.png? Or sompething like karbon-mime.png
> > or mime-karbon.png?
>
> Yes, they can be something else.  They will have to be since the way I was
> naming MIME icons was based on a 3 character file extension.  But, it isn't
> just this, I ran into trouble first with Gnumeric -- which also has a long
> extension.
>
> GNOME used: "gnome-application-x-gnumeric.png" for gnumeric.  I'm not sure
> that such a long file name for the icon would be a good idea but one thing
> in its favor is that because it uses the MIME type, there should be no
> duplicates.
>
> You could use: "mime" or "file".  And, there is also the question of
> whether: "-" or "_" is preferable.

Looking at the existing files, it seems rather clear.
For example there is cr128-mime-mime_koffice.png

So the dash - is used for the KDE-relevant separations, the underscore _ is
for inside the name.

For avoiding name conflicts, there seems to be 2 ways:
- prefixing mime_ (for example mime_ascii)
- appending _doc (for example netscape_doc, which seems to be the majority
with application names)

So perhaps we should keep that way.

> --
> JRT