List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Paving the way for managing large projects
From:       Aaron Seigo <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-12-11 19:32:18

On Thursday 11 December 2003 1:28, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> the size of the project makes it harder to use CVS.  As Linus seemed to
> indicate, the problems with CVS start when you have more than one person
> working on one section of code.

well, that's only the start of the issue. there's also change sets, more
dynamic branching and the scalability of algorithms employed by CVS.

> CVS appears to be based on a certain
> development model to the extent that if you use CVS that you are limited to
> using that development model -- a model  with which I can see _real_
> problems.

i'm sure that when the time is right, we will end up transitioning to a better
tool such as subversion (which is probably the only Free Software option even
close to being capable of handling a KDE type project).

personally i see "the time is right" being when we aren't involved in an
impending release and when the chosen RCS is mature enough to be trusted with
our code.

0.02

--
Aaron J. Seigo