List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: The "Killer" application]
From:       "Michael Fair" <michael () daclubhouse ! net>
Date:       2003-11-24 18:37:04

I'm excited to see your enthusiasm.  Many of your ideas seem
to be already implemented or are at least "in the works".
There was nothing terribly radical about them.  More developers
of course would help things get done faster.

Firstly, KOffice doesn't really have many separate applications.
It has many KParts which are hosted in separate shell applications.

Your "upper corners" seem to be no different than what KWord calls
"Frames" they can hold any content (including other KParts), can be
of any size (smaller than the page they are located on), they can be
embedded in any other Frame, text is even aware of them and can
flow around them in many ways, they are stackable, and can be
transparent or opaque.  Frames can also be attached to other frames
so that content will flow from the bottom of one frame to the top
of the next.

Your description limited a stack of pages to be the same size.
The KWord team has found this to be an unacceptable limitation
and expect to obviate that in the future (after upcoming release).
Each page in a document should be capable of having it's own
dimensions separate from other pages.

You seem really hot on XML and so is the KOffice team.  David Faure
is currently working with the OASIS group to standardize on an
XML based document storage format to be shared between OOo and
KOffice.  This again should be implemented in release after next.

Anything you see you'd be interested in helping develop?

-- Michael --