List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    [RFC] OO templates and mimetypes
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2003-11-19 23:33:27

(kde-i18n-doc CCed as early-warning.)

Bug #67087 forces us to think about OpenOffice templates and KOffice.

Currently OO templates are not recognized by KDE/KOffice and of course some
users would prefer that they would be recognized.

However simply adding the file extensions of the templates to the OO document
mimetypes (like commited now for OOImpress templates) is in my opinion not the
way to
go.

The problem in this case is OO itself and especially the mimefile .desktop
files installed by OO. OO awaits separate OO mimetypes for templates
(mimetype names ending with .template) than for normal documents.

Introducing the same mimetype for documents and templates in KDE means to
break OO, as depending on $KDEHOME either the KDE's/KOffice's mimetypes win
or OO's wins (OO knows only ~/.kde2). This means that the behaviour becomes
inconsistently.

So now, how to do it?

Well, I do not know, as we are in message freeze.

What can be done is that the filters know the template mimetypes and that we
define them in KDE 3.3. That is, as far as I can see, the only way compatible
with the message freezes of KOffice and of KDE.

I also thought about adding the templates mimefiles in KOffice 1.3 however
named as "Document" to use the already existing translation. However here
too, I fear problems with OO, as then templates would have the same comments
as documents.

So if anybody has a serious idea, please tell!

Please note also that separate template mimetypes would also help KOffice 1.4,
as loading/saving templates are not the same as loading/saving documents.

However in KOffice 1.4, we will need to be able to handle templates as normal
files, so that I18N teams can propose fully localised versions of the
templates. This is currently not possible as the KOffice applications awaits
templates at exact places and does not easily allow any exchange of
templates.

(And fully localised version are needed. I want to repeat here my example,
which I have written for bug #63388: the destination address in a letter is
on the left in Germany but on the right in France. That is something that
cannot be handled with a simple i18n() )

Have a nice day!