List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    KSpread functions
From:       "SCTaiji" <taiji () pandora ! be>
Date:       2003-10-07 19:01:02

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hello,

First a warning : my programming is very rusty, I'm sort of starting all =
over again with KDE. I'm only taking my first steps though, but working =
through the turorials, I'm happy to see that some of my former knowledge =
regarding C++ is still there :-)

Anyway, I find the whole Koffice project, and Kspread in particular very =
inspiring.

I have been browsing through the code (WEBCVS because my linux pc is not =
online, first I have to iron out some WLan issues :-(  ) and one of the =
areas that I would like to be involved in is the functions-area.

I read the old (8/4/02) post by Ariya concerning functions. I understand =
since then some 100 functions have been added, so the library is already =
well developed.

Some questions that I have.

1. About Excel compatibility...In order to be compatible with Excel the =
functions should be the same, same name, same parameter list. Right? Or =
is there another route already followed by the filter? Or should we =
provide for a series of "Excel" functions (this could be a separate =
category in the picklist) just to provide compatibility and ease of use =
for exel users. They could then continue to use their old functions, =
just by adding E_ at the front or something like that. I remember Excel =
having lotus123 compatibility (duplicating the menu structure) at a =
certain point.

2. Excel provides translation of the functions in the different =
languages that are supported, but I don't know if internally they are =
tokenized. I'll test that in the coming days. Do we, should we provide =
translations of the function names?

3. What about copyrights on mathematical numerical methods. Does anyone =
have experienxe with this. I have some expertise in the financial area =
myself, and I would like to develop some advanced financial functions. I =
found a library (written, no code) of financial functions on the web ( =
http://finance.bi.no/~bernt/gcc_prog/ ) that would be very useful. In =
this case they are explicitely under GNU licence, so usable, right. But =
what about the scores of published methods? Does the book copyright =
prevails, or does the character of the thing change as soon as I =
transform it into an algoritm?

4. As I am new, I suppose that I have to submit possible patches or code =
to some of you more experienced guys...but don't expect things very =
soon. First I have still a lot of studying to do, and I am very busy =
professionaly as well...but I'd like to get involved very much.

Regards

Marc