List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [RFC] Horizontal lines in KWord
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2003-09-13 19:46:22

On Saturday 13 September 2003 16:01, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 13, 2003 at 03:22:34PM +0200, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > I am not sure to understand your problem with CYMK but I can understand
> > that it is not so good for other reasons (bitmap versus vector.) It would
> > have been much better to find this problem much earlier when Laurent has
> > started the horizontal lines. :-(
> >
> > As for integrating Karbon in KWord, it looks fine but the question is
> > when it will be done. Already now KWord 1.4 (including its filters) will
> > need more manpower than was available for KWord 1.3: to move to the
> > OOWriter file format and to port KoText to Qt4's text engine. So from
> > where should the additional manpower come from?
> >
> > So I would prefer to have a solution now (in 2003) than having to wait on
> > KOffice 1.5 (in 2005).
>
> Even if that solution will make it really difficult to open your version
> 1.3 KWord file in KWord 1.5?

Of course, I have checked how OOWriter does it. That is why my very first idea
went to /dev/null, as it was not portable to the new format.

> And all the other problems there are (like poor printing etc)?

Well, OO seems to have chosen that way. So anyway we have it. (OOWriter's are
more or less normal pictures. If there is a difference, I have not found it
yet.)

> As I said earlier; I'd rather have a missing feature then a badly
> implemented one.
> Naturally if someone decides to put it in there after all, I can't stop
> them.

> Oh, and don't forget that you can actually use paragraph borders to do have
> a horizontal line.

Thanks! That is the answer that I want. (That is why OOWriter has only fancy
lines.) I had totally forgotten this. Now, how do we say it to the users?

Have a nice day!