List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: koffice developers' meeting questions
From:       David Faure <dfaure () klaralvdalens-datakonsult ! se>
Date:       2003-09-05 8:40:36

On Friday 05 September 2003 00:51, Tomasz Grobelny wrote:
> 1. Does QPainter/KPainter has to know about LTR/RTL direction apart from maybe
> drawText function?
Well, you have to navigate the caret (text cursor) correctly, etc. But all that is indeed
rather in the text layout stuff, which is done in libkotext. What QPainter::drawText
does however is all the ligature stuff for arabic etc.

> 2. Just out of curiosity: does KWord support Hindic now?
No, but QPainter does. I just didn't want to work on this until WYSIWYG is sorted out.

> > I think we need two different things, and they are not exclusive.
> >
> > * We need Qt4's QPainter for drawing all those sorts of texts from KWord
> > and KPresenter - including support for WYSIWYG - zoom and printing - and
> > e.g. kerning.
> >
> KPainter (now speaking of screen paintdevice) supports text rendering
> (including kerning) and operates on physical units (points) so it will
> support WYSIWYG for postscript output and it already supports WYSIWYG for
> zooming. I once compared simple ps file rendered by ghostscript (kghostview)
> and equivalent code rendered by KPainter and they were almost idential (small
> diffrences when rendering small fonts).
Sounds very good.

knoll@kde.org

--