List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: karbon, kpainter and kword
From:       Charles Philip Chan <cpchan () sympatico ! ca>
Date:       2003-06-18 3:56:27

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 09:36:55 GMT
"Dirk Schönberger" <dirk.schoenberger@sz-online.de> wrote:

> Beside of the communictaion problem (you send explicit textual
> commands) there are also security concerns, because Postscript has
> e.g. features which allow for reading of local files by any rogue
> Postscript document.

Yes, you are right about that. I guess that is one of the reasons why
Apple moved on to Display PDF in Mac OS X.

> Perhaps a better approach would be to use another rendering API, like
> SVG or PDF.

An Open Source Display PDF implimentation would be interesting.

> The latter Ghostscript versions have worked mostly in the
> direction of better PDF support, especially PDF 1.4 features, like
> opacity transparency effects.

Yes, especially AFPL Ghostscript 8.0.

Charles

--
Your job is being a professor and researcher: That's one hell of a good
excuse