List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: karbon, kpainter and kword
From:       Alexander Kellett <lypanov () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-06-17 7:37:57

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 06:46:34PM -0700, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> The PostScript interpreter is fully capable of spacing the letters
> according to information contained in the font.  But, KWord doesn't work
> this way.  IIUC, this is because Qt doesn't work this way. :-(  Instead, it
> does something strange that I don't understand since I am not a PostScript
> expert.  IMHO, this is simply NOT the best way to do it.

well doing it in your suggested manner implies turning
over the rendering to ghostscript which while extremely
nice would well, unfortunately make kword quite non wysiwig.
though how important that feature actually is, no idea.
personally i think that the kerning problems etc should
just be sorted out in the qt ps output.

Alex