List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Using the KOffice API's in new projects
From:       Jeff McLean <9jrm4 () qlink ! queensu ! ca>
Date:       2003-05-28 17:59:29

Hi,

This is my first post to this mailing list so hello to all.

I'm starting to develop a new application using the KDE and Qt libraries.  It
is something of a drawing application like Karbon14, but for another purpose,
and it would be GPL, of course.  I think that I could make heavy use of the
KOffice API, but I'm not sure if this is a good idea for several reasons:
        1) The developer APIs (the includes) are not installed on machines
just
because KOffice is installed.  Is it possible to install the includes so that
I could use the APIs the same way I'd use the KDE APIs?
        2)  Using the KOffice APIs would make my project a KOffice thing, I
guess, is
that allowed? or do you need permission or something???
        3) I wouldn't want to make users have to install the KOffice includes
just so
that they can compile my application.

I welcome all discussion of this, cause I don't even really know how exactly
to ask... I just want to re-use some code that was very well done for
KOffice, withought any cutting and pasting.

Confused,
Jeff