List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KSpread - algorithm for fast and memory-saving storage of
From:       Alexander Neundorf <neundorf () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-04-24 16:01:32

> Norbert Andres wrote:
> >Hi Pascal,
> >
> >we discussed something like your proposal already.
> >
> >There is just one thing missing: internally we work with hierachical
> > styles now.
> >So we need a way to connect both features somehow.
> >A cell can have a style assigned ("Default" at the beginning) - so there
> > is just one layout for all cells. If A1 gets bold font, all the other
> > layout informations are still taken from the Default style and gets
> > changed if the default style changes.
> >Any solution for that?
>
> That should not pose too many problems. Either (for easy lookup using
> the tree/list structure I described), a separate list of regions is
> created from the original formatting data... The separate list would
> combine/intersect the different styles/formattings:
>
> A=some style, B=some extra formatting --> combine to 5 regions A,B,C,D,E
>
> AAAAA        AABCC
> AABAA        AADCC
> AAAAA   ==>  AAECC
> AAAAA        AAECC

Ok, at first, I don't know a single line of kspread.

I don't know how much your proposed algorithm would improve performance or
memory consumption compared with the current situation.

But I think if you implement it it will be a quite big change to the
formatting code in kspread. In this sense I don't see an obvious advantage of
the now used hierarchical structure.
If you implement your rectangular area-idea, I would see no need to have the
hierarchical structure.
You start with a big area, then a single cell is set to bold -> a new small
area is created. When later on the formatting of a small area which is
geometrically inside another area changes, the new format should be compared
with the format of the containing area and if both are equal, delete the
small area.
I don't see any obvious disadvantages compared to the hierarchical structure,
maybe the hierarchical structure might even require some more cpu work.

Bye
Alex
--
Work: alexander.neundorf@jenoptik.com - http://www.jenoptik-los.de