List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Mathematics with koffice
From:       Heinrich Kuettler <heinrich.kuettler () gmx ! de>
Date:       2003-03-22 8:09:24

Ravikiran Rajagopal wrote:

>>The problem here is indeed that the current MathML import in KFormula is
>>a mere filter to KFormula's XML (see lib/kformulamathmlread.cc).
>>MathML in KHTML would be very cool, but this code doesn't really help there.
>>This brings up another question: Do we want to render formulas in
>>KFormula in another way than in Konqueror or is it possible to get a
>>common code base for this?
>
> The problem with MathML is that it does not seem to have been designed with
> editability in mind (in spite of what their website says). However, since
> their approach for displaying formulas is the same as that of KFormula, I
> think it would be feasible to have a common code base.

MathML has many problems, this is also why it isn't KFormula's native
format.
However, a common code base in kdelibs makes sense.

> Note that KFormula works with DOM anyway. As a rule, I don't expect everything
> to work the first time. We can (should?) do it a little at a time. I don't
> understand the KHTML code well either. For a start you can look at the
> following thread, where they discuss where one would have to start to bring
> MathML to KHTML:
>   http://lists.kde.org/?l=kfm-devel&m=101822942829091&w=2
> I would be willing to work on it. But I don't think I can do it all by myself,
> as I have no experience with displaying formulae. We could set up a meeting
> on IRC if you would like to figure out a plan of action.

I'm not much experienced with displaying formulae either. It was my
brother (Ulrich) who wrote that code (who also had to study TeX & Co
first). But the rendering could be taken in most parts from KFormula
(these parts should of course be put in a seperate lib -- the common
code base discussed above). However, as it is put out in this thread you
refer, every addition of this kind however makes KHTML bigger and slower...

A meeting on IRC with you, Uli, me and everyone interested is quite a
good idea(tm).

Heiner