List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Mathematics with koffice
From:       Heinrich Kuettler <heinrich.kuettler () gmx ! de>
Date:       2003-03-20 18:09:41

Ravikiran Rajagopal wrote:

[...]

>   I looked at the KFormula import filter for MathML and I realized that
> everything is converted internally into KFormula nodes (obviously). This
> makes it difficult to integrate that code into KHTML. Please see the thread
> starting at:
>   http://lists.kde.org/?l=kfm-devel&m=104767790111061&w=2
> Since many of the internal structures of the KFormula XML are similar to those
> of MathML, I wonder if the KFormula authors could provide MathML support for
> KHTML. This is just a question; please do not interpret it as a flame.

The problem here is indeed that the current MathML import in KFormula is
a mere filter to KFormula's XML (see lib/kformulamathmlread.cc).
MathML in KHTML would be very cool, but this code doesn't really help there.
This brings up another question: Do we want to render formulas in
KFormula in another way than in Konqueror or is it possible to get a
common code base for this?

And yet another question is: Where would one have to start to bring
MathML to KHTML? The quest is interesting but probably a bit too heavy
for an occasional programmer like me, who only hacked a
far-from-finished MathML filter. I mean, MathML in KHTML is more than
reading and displaying; things like enliving expressions/JavaScript and
DOM come in my mind...

Heiner