List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Mathematics with koffice
From:       Ulrich Kuettler <ulrich.kuettler () mailbox ! tu-dresden ! de>
Date:       2003-03-17 15:44:29

On Sunday 16 March 2003 21:34, Christian Parpart wrote:

> On Sunday 16 March 2003 10:53 am, Ulrich inspired the electrons to say:
> > On Friday 14 March 2003 21:13, Claus O. Wilke wrote:
> > > Clearly everybody will have a different opinion on what is the best
> > > backend. Therefore, it would probably be good to keep the architecture
> > > open, so that it is possible to use different backends. As an example,
> > > look at the texmacs project (http://www.texmacs.org/), which allows you
> > > to use a variety of different free and proprietary computer algebra
> > > systems.
> >
> > Hmm. texmacs is an interesting project. But as far as I can see texmacs
> > acts as shell for various algebra systems. That is the user still
> > interacts with a specific system and has to know its syntax. My aim is to
> > completely hide the backend. This way an occasional user does not need to
> > know who does the numerics. So the chosen backend should not really
> > matter. But this approach also forces a real tight integration. Currently
> > I link octave's libraries and use their objects directly. There is no
> > easy way to switch to another backend.
>
> You may be wrong:
>
> [interessting code deleted...]
>
> You can fully abstract the back-end by providing your own interface that
> represents the other back-ends. Now you need, of course, to write an
> interface implementation that acts as a bridge to the real back-end. But
> even here I see no problem. And, the error management can be done over a
> single exception class (KMathBackEndException) that gets a detailed message
> string and a exception code value.
>
> Think about it, it's possible.

Uhm. Yes, indeed. You are right. It's indeed possible. It's not as easy as
your code suggests, just think about graphical programming or plotting
functions, but still it can be done.

However I doubt if it's worth the trouble. After all, if it's done right you
could switch the backends and wouldn't notice a difference. The idea was to
completely hide the backend. So what could be gained by changing it?

Okay, from a math engine writer's point of view this is rather arrogant. So I
apologize. ;) Of course you gain something by changing the engine. But still
the question remains whether this gain is worth the much increased effort.

(That's really a question to me. Even if I cannot promise to implement the
biggest possible solution very soon I'm very much interested in what is
needed.)

> > But I think it's more
> > natural from the koffice point of view.
>
> do do what?

To hide the math engine's syntax behind a "graphical" formula input. In
opposite to texmacs where the engine's answer is "simply" displayed nicely.

> > The flexibility of texmacs bases on the powerful builtin script language.
> > This is something I'd love to see in koffice, too. Maybe a good script
> > language could allow both an open architecture with tight integration.
> > But there is no such language yet.
>
> Yeah, but in this case you _need_ to write it yourself. I mean, you can't
> use already existing scripting engines implemented in the already existing
> back-ends. And, of course, this is even not recommented since they don't
> feel compatible each other.

Oh, it seems I wasn't clear enough. I was talking about a scripting language
like texmac's guile. Such a beast could help a lot in any case.

> However, I definitely vote for a interface bridge to support multiple,
> different back-ends of math engines. This would even allow me to use my own
> yet not that featured implementation of math engine, libmath++ (which is
> fully featured by C++, no c no lisp no f/f77).

Interesting. Is there any code to be seen yet?

Greetings,
Uli