List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Persistent filter settings - dialog only pops up once
From:       Clarence Dang <dang () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-02-15 20:22:23

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003 06:39 am, David Faure wrote:
> On Saturday 15 February 2003 06:55, Clarence Dang wrote:
> > >
> > > Isn't that during "Save As" only?
> >
> > No because it forces a "Save As" the first time you save from a foreign
> > format.  Yes this happened even before my URL changes because it used to
> > be that m_url was incorrectly reset when importing a document so Save
> > would cause a Save As.
>
> What you call "incorrect" here was actually done on purpose :)

Yes but it made the mainwindow title all wrong...

> > Now there is a hack (I added) that retains this
> > behaviour...I'm just asking to remove it :)
> >
> > But I guess if we get rid of the unneccessary file dialog pop up, we
> > could force that warning the first time too (when saving from an external
> > format), which is what I would much prefer.
>
> "force" == show even if the user asked for "doNotAskAgain"? That'd be
> weird.

No, no, I mean normally as you said that dialog only comes up if Save As.  But
I'm suggesting make it come up if the user clicked Save the first time from
an external format.   Of course, if s/he's selected doNotAskAgain before,
then of course, doNotAskAgain :)

> > 1. For seasoned users who know what they are doing, the DoNotAskAgain can
> > be used and KWord would act like practically any other word proccessor.
>
> Even "seasoned" users make mistakes. And once you've clicked that checkbox,
> you _NEVER_ see it again. Months later you can make the mistake I'm talking
> about (importing a .txt, working on it, saving [as .txt, automatically],
> and losing all the formatting work you made on it).

I see.  But I can't think up of a better solution that doesn't get in the way.
All I can suggest is what I do: don't click doNotAskAgain because it's evil
anyway :) because you can never get it back without editing config files.

> > > Maybe we should have Import and Export menu items, to distinguish the
> > > two ways?
> >
> > Hmm, but that really takes away the idea that KWord can seamlessly handle
> > different formats (instead of being able to "Open" and "Save" e.g. RTF
> > documents, we can only "Import" and "Export" them) ... and it would ruin
> > the CTRL+S shortcut for those who are used to it.
>
> I think you haven't understood my suggestion.

Probably :(

> Open and Save would work with RTF format as if it were the native format
> (maybe a warning at first, but all subsequent "save"s would indeed save
> there, and you wouldn't get the "want to save as .kwd" when closing the
> window). Open, and Save As, would still "remember that url as the one you
> want to work on". (I think this is all what you're asking for).
>
> But sometimes you also want to simply do a one-time import or a one-time
> export. Importing a file means that the resulting document is unnamed and
> not associated with a URL (like what "open" currently does with foreign
> formats"). Exporting a file means the new URL is used for saving into that
> format, but the current URL is kept for further work on the file.
> E.g. I might want to make a one-time export as .txt, but to keep working on
> a .kwd document to keep all the formatting. The format I'm exporting to
> might simply be for sending to other persons (e.g. RTF), but I still want
> to save locally in the format that is guaranteed to keep everything.

I see now, great idea! :)

> I think this would make much sense and be quite powerful ... but I don't
> know if it might confuse anyone ("what's the difference between Open->*.rtf
> and Import->*.rtf ?").
How about one of those statusbar messages.  That should do it for anyone who's
curious.

Thanks,
Clarence