List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    RFC: Shadow text in KWord.
From:       Mike McBride <mpmcbride7 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2003-02-09 12:07:01

I would like to see the implementation of shadow text changed (from a user
perspective)

Currently, Shadow text is the ONLY text formatting option that can be changed
from word to word, but is specified in the "Paragraph formating" dialogs.
When shadowing was only available on a paragraph by paragraph basis, that was
appropriate. But now that it is on a character by character basis, it should
move.

I also think the current implementation is contrary to how we deal with all
other text formatting options.

As an example:  If I want a section of text in the middle of the paragraph
underlined, I:

1) Select the text
2) Open the dialog box (Character formatting) use the dialog to specify how to
underline the text (Single, double, word by word, etc)
3) Click "OK" and the selected text is underlined.

To create a shadow of the same section of text:

1) Place the cursor in the paragraph I want shadowing.
2) Open the dialog box (Paragraph formatting).  Use the dialog box to specify
collor, distance and direction of shadowing.
3) Click "OK" and the ENTIRE paragraphs is now shadow text.
4) I select all the text in the front part of the paragraph  (that I don't
want shadowed) with the mouse.
5) Open the dialog box (This time, we are opening the *Character formatting*
dialog).  Use the dialog to "Disable the shadow" for the selected text.
6) Click "OK" and that section should no longer be shadowed.
7) Select any other sections of text that I do not wanter shadowed, and repeat
steps 5 and 6.

WIth boldface, italics, underlining, typeface, text size, superscript,
subscript, text color, text background color, strikethrough, etc the user
selects the options they want for the selected text. (They "opt in" for these
functions)

For shadow text, they need to turn the shadow text on (for the entire
paragraph), then DISABLE shadow text for the sections of the paragraph.
(They "opt out" for this one function).

From a consistancy standpoint, I think shadow text should be formatting using
the character formatting dialog

From an ease of use standpoint, I think shadow text should be formatted using
the character formatting dialog

Because the current implementation does not offer a feature or power that is
unavailable with the other implementation, I do not see any reasons not to
change the current implementation to one more familiar to the user.

I would appreciate any comments from those who disagree.

--
Mike McBride
mpmcbride7@yahoo.com