List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: New Kivio maintainer
From:       Patrick Julien <freak () codepimps ! org>
Date:       2003-01-20 21:55:32

On January 20, 2003 04:41 pm, Rob Buis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Now that kivio uses KoRuler, I wanted to revisit this again... however
> > kivio hangs on startup for me.
>
> I had the same problem. IIRC I had to delete a kivio rc file to get it
> going...
>
> > Originally, when I wanted to add guides to Krita, Kivio rulers seemed
> > like the way to go.  They supported more types of measures (no longer
> > true it seems), furthermore the placing of the text looked more "spiffy"
> > when zooming out to say something like 1/16.
> >
> > Again, I only compared the rulers when using KWord vs Kivio.  It's quite
> > possible KoRuler supports more options for text layout.
> >
> > It seemed to me that KoRuler looked better for applications whose
> > contents are text while koCanvasRuler for those who weren't.
> >
> > Another thing that bottered me with a vertical KoRuler, (again this is
> > based on observations of KWord, it doesn't mean it holds true for
> > KoRuler) was that text was displayed horizontally.
>
>  Well IMHO it looks pretty good (koRuler). I'll try KoCanvasRuler as well
> though. I can only see it in action using krita so far?
>  One thing that didnt seem well with the rulers in kivio were that it
> seemed to flicker quite a bit. Does KoCanvasRuler have the same problem?
> Cheers,

yes the guides flicker in krita also, this is what I meant by adding to the
widgets this morning.

Or actually, it's removing in this case, the guide widget tries do everything
itself instead of letting the underlying widget do the work.  Not only does
this produce flicker, but the pixmaps that it is using can get to be quite
large when zooming out.

In any case, back to rulers, if every other koffice application uses KoRuler
then so will Krita.