List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: General Dev Question
From:       Lucijan Busch <lucijan () gmx ! at>
Date:       2003-01-05 12:38:27

On Saturday 04 January 2003 21:34, Jade Cole wrote:
> Hi folks:
hello
> I am relatively new to the KDE/Linux world and I have been looking for some
> general development information - I've read all the FAQ's and information I
> can find online, so I was wondering if someone here could point me in the
> right direction.  I am looking to develop an "add-in" for KSpread that
> allows connection to a database and provides data manipulation capability -
> I've done something similar in the Win32/Excel world.
>
> The functionality could appear in a toolbar or custom menu - but I am
> unable to find any information about how I could incorporate this
> functionality into KSpread.  Ideally, I would like to build a plug-in, or
> add-in that could be added to KSpread, rather than downloading the source
> and
> recompiling the whole thing.
be aware that a feature like that already exists (or maybe not like that but
quite simmilar). i think it was added with 1.2 take a look into
"Insert->External data->Database" or did you thought about a live bindig?
however if you want to implement a new one, be aware of the new component
(kexi, which provides databasemanagement) and one should think about takeing
that as ground. if you decide so, you can contact me so i can try setting up
a lib that you will probabbly need (isn't very much work and i will do it
anyway for kword mailmerge too...)

> Can anyone tell me if this is possible, and where to find more info?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> JC
cu
lucijan