List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [kpresenter] HTML Slideshow improvements
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2002-12-25 23:21:07

On Wednesday 25 December 2002 05:37, Ariya Hidayat wrote:
(...)

> > And as I have written in the other email, I do not think that we should
> > ask about image format. We should pass 1:1 format usualy support by HTML
> > user agemts (browswers...) and convert the other file format to either
> > PNG or SVG. (Well, exactly the same problems as with KWord's export
> > filters.)
>
> OK, I'll just take PNG then. If there's good reason of using JPEG and even
> BMP (does Netscape 4 for Unix read that?), we can put it back.

The problem of JPEG is that it does not work well without real life pictures
(i.e. photos), as the compression algorithm automatically adds visible errors
in such cases.

As for BMP, the problem is that it does not compress well (mostly it is the
uncompressed format that is used anyway).

> As a side note, OO Impress supports GIF output but I think that is
> out-of-question due to the well-known patent problem.

Well, in theory, you could use the uncompressed GIF. (Does MSIE4 support GIF
transparency?)

However, i think that PNG is a superior format compared to GIF and especially
compared to BMP, especially as PNG knows true color, while the other two
formats do not.

And the last problem is that users do not understand subtilities of the image
format anyway.

Have a nice day/evening/night!