List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [kspread] formatting design
From:       Norbert Andres <nandres () web ! de>
Date:       2002-12-14 18:21:36

On Saturday 14 December 2002 18:28, John Dailey wrote:
> Phillip and I have been hashing out some ideas over irc and I'm going to
> try to lay them out here.  Norbert, I think this is basically the same as
> your StyleManager that you emailed but I wasn't completely certain on how
> that was working.
Yes, the concept is the very similar.
I wanted to split the Style in "Sub-Styles", so one for Background (Pattern,
Color,...), Border (Pens, Colors,...), Format (number format), Font, Position
(vert. + horz. alignment,...)
A MetaStyle contains one of each. Having more than one "Sub-Style" has the
advantage that the lookup for existing SubStyles would be much faster
(especially for large documents). In this case each cell would have 5
pointers to Sub-Styles.
This approach is more complicate.

Another speedup could be to allow duplicates and to optimize when saving the
document.

Open problems: how do you handle fallback layouts? How can we allow something
like a "Select All"?
For the latter problem we would still need to create hundred of cells.

What about this: do the style concept you mentioned and organize fallback
layouts for regions (cells would have to lookup up a Fallback Style (if set
-> marking and changing attributes of a region won't change each cell, but
create a FallBackStyle) in a fallback style manager)
We would have a map like this:
Region => FallBackStyle.
e.g.
A1:F10 => style1	(newest on top)
B	   => style2	(whole line)
10	   => style2	(cells in column 10 have the same style
				as cells in row B, except for the cells that are
				in the first region)
"All" 	   => style3

This concept would be close to the Gnumeric way of organizing styles...

Anything additions?

Norbert