List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    [RFC] New mime types in KOffice
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicog () snafu ! de>
Date:       2002-12-13 16:45:30

In the past, new mime types for KOffice were created somewhere in KOffice and
then one day or another pushed to kdelibs. It would perhaps be better if it
could be made more systematic.

I propose a directory koffice/mimetypes where all new mime types are created.
I also propose a directory koffice/mimetypes/kde31 where all mime types only
needed for KDE 3.1 will go, when the mime type is defined in kdelibs CVS
HEAD. (Of course kde32 will be added when needed and so on.)

The advantages:
- all mime types defined in KOffice are located in one place, easy to spot.
- easy move to kdelibs, as we have no problems with non-HEAD KDE versions
- no need to force (I mean in KDE message freeze) a mime type in KDE because
we want it usable in the next KOffice versions for two KDE versions.

If this way is accepted, I will put all current mime types defined in KOffice
in the new directory mimetype, before putting them in CVS HEAD and in the new
directory kde31. (Attached is the list of the mime types defined in KOffice.)

I am asking all this now, because I need I new mime type for KPresenter's web
presentations. I think of "application/x-vnd.kde.kpresenter.web-config".

Have a nice day/evening/night!

PS.: another possibility would be to put new mime types not in
koffice/mimetypes directly but in a sub-directory could new, current or head.

PS2: it would perhaps be good if some of these mimetypes (for example Kexi's)
would change to the "x-vnd.kde" (for example "application/x-vnd.kde.kexi")
format before we have to change them later. For them it is not too late, as
for KWord for example.
["list.txt" (text/plain)]

./example/x-example.desktop
./kexi/x-kexi.desktop
./filters/kpresenter/magicpoint/x-magicpoint.desktop
./filters/kpresenter/ooimpress/x-ooimpress.desktop
./filters/kspread/excel/x-excel.desktop
./filters/kword/oowriter/x-oowriter.desktop
./kugar/kudesigner/x-kudesigner.desktop
./kosoap/x-kosoap.desktop
./kplato/x-kplato.desktop