List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [kspread] - KSpreadCell simplification
From:       Ariya Hidayat <ariya () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-12-13 4:15:36

> Hmm... a related issue is that I would like to call this 'KSpreadLayout'
> except that there is already a KSpreadLayout class.  This class contains
> data that is elsewhere in the code referred to as Format information
> (KSpreadFormatDlg is the dialog that sets most of this info).  Any
> objections to renaming the existing KSpreadLayout class to KSpreadFormat
> similarly to how KSpreadTable was renamed KSpreadSheet?

Sorry if this is a bit late, but I don't quite agree. IMHO, "Layout" is
related to the appearance of the cell, e.g border, size, color while "Format"
is how the cell's value is rendered, e.g dd/mm/yyyy for date, decimal
precision, and fractions. IIRC this concept is used in Gnumeric and quite
make sense.

I'm working on the KSpreadFormat, as "format" defined above, which formerly
worked on by Norbert (but he didn't have time, so I just go on) but still
waiting for KDE 3.1 for various reasons. If this Layout becomes Format, then
what I should call it ?

Some suggestions: name it as KSpreadStyleLayout and move out things in
KSpreadCell you would like. Later, move stuff in KSpreadLayout to this new
KSpreadStyleLayout because inheriting KSpreadCell from KSpreadLayout is no
good idea (IMHO, you can't have shared layout which is good for speed and
memory). Somehow, make it "shared" to optimize memory usage. In the end, we
can have style support by combining KSpreadStyleLayout and (my hopefully
already finished) KSpreadFormat, wrap it in KSpreadStyle class. Sounds good ?

Best regards,

Ariya