List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Explanation on WP vs DTP modes in KWord
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2002-12-11 11:39:10

On Tuesday 10 December 2002 5:35 pm, Dirk Schönberger wrote:
|  > Apple uses Display PDF (Quartz) API nowdays (MasOS X)
|  >
|  > But I think there is no need to reinvent the wheel nowdays.
|  > PDF's imaging model is quite good (supports transparency), and SVG
|  > specification is complete (at least we have 1.0).
|  >
|  > Some common-denominator from those APIs/imaging models would be quite
|  > handy.
|  > As both use PostScript-like drawing primitives (Beziers, "stroke/fill"
|  model,
|  > etc.), supporting it would draw a path to printing, too.
|
|  I am not quite sure if PDF can be used fully. IMHO most of the advanced
|  stuff is done / defined via Postscript (the language) level dictionaries,
|  which are not really useable from direct C++ calls. I haven't seen any
|  meaningful DisplayPDF/Quartz API documentation, so I cannot judge how it
| is implemented there.

I also tried to find something, and it seems Apple doesn't have docs for
Quartz online.

|  For basic operations (vector paths, CTM handling, GState handling) I fully
|  agree.
|  Another problem could be in font handling. Using Freetype allows for
|  transparent using of outline data of fonts from Truetype and Adobe Type 1
|  fonts. I am not quite sure if this is also possible if you create PDF or
|  Postscript data. IMHO you can only reference fonts which are in either
| Type 1 or OpenType format?

You can embed TrueType fonts into PostScript/PDF as Type42 font...
AFAIK Adobe's PostSCript driver for Windows does this (but not Qt 3.1/KDE
3.1).
On th eother hand, I haven't succeeded creating PDF with OpenType font, as I
have Windows 98 (parallel to KDE) and Win98 doesn't support OpenType at all
(hey, we are really ahead of Microsoft here!  You can't print from KWord
using OpenType font, but it renders fine on screen)
I also tried to export to PDf from Adobe inDesign 1.5, and it seems InDesign
also doesn't accpet OTF fonts.

About Type1 and Type3:
--------------------------
You can embed both Type1 and Type3 fonts into PDF.
Of course, after taking it all together and thinking for a moment, it's clear
that font handling in Windows/Mac is a nightmare, and interoperability of
documents doens't exist.
But, it's possible to do all this.  Question is wether we want to have such a
mess in KDE/KOffice...

|  Regards
|  Dirk

Kind Regards,
--

Vadim Plessky
SVG Icons * BlueSphere Icons 0.3.0 released