List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Explanation on WP vs DTP modes in KWord (Re: Kde-cvs-digest request for information)
From:       Philipp =?iso-8859-1?q?M=FCller?= <philipp.mueller () gmx ! de>
Date:       2002-12-01 18:43:33

Am Samstag, 30. November 2002 18:13 schrieb Dirk Schönberger:
> I tried to visualize my usecases fo the KOffice applications. I am sure
> this is not complete, but perhaps it is some kind of starting point:

<snip>

> - KSpread
>   - "calculation" mode
>   - "list" mode - entry of schema-less tabular data (i.e. I can entry data
> without having
>      to care about valid data types and missing columns
>   - "database" mode incl. form-based data entry
>   - used as a "data source", mostly not WYSIWIG

Hello Dirk,

as I read this now several times on the list, I need to tell that WYSIWYG is
also a need for spread sheet apps. Only because the most famous app here
behaves so badly, doesn't mean it's a non worth functionality.

The usage you described here is the usage of part time users (seldom
calculations only) or academic users (like they evaluate in the spread sheet
and finalize in the word app), but not the one of intensiv users.

Just go into a business administration department and you soon find so many
usage of pure WYSIWYG. They use it to comunicate text, to build forms, to
write invoices, to build databases, to use as presenation foils, ...

And what's the problem? Beside of ugly cut offs at the border when you print
on page, it is horror with the "cell to short" feature. Just try the famous
spread sheet app, make the cell with the number directly fit to the content
and play with the zoom feature. Sooner or later you get the ###### as cell
content, arg. As the zoom is also involved if you choose "fit page to range",
this hits you quite often and very badly (just umagine the invoice with the
final sum to pay #### ;-)

Of course a spread sheet app doesn't need every word processor feature, but
WYSIWYG (in terms of what you see on screen is what you get on paper and in
any zoom level) is the same.

What I've seen in my daily work is the behaviour of all the different users.
Give a task to them (like making an order to a supplier containing a table)
and they will all use different apps, just because this is the one they know
to use/most.

Secretaries: Word
Managers: Powerpoint
Business Administration: EXCEL