List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Explanation on WP vs DTP modes in KWord (Re: Kde-cvs-digest request for information)
From:       Thomas Diehl <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-12-01 14:15:18

Am Sonntag, 1. Dezember 2002 12:31 schrieb Dirk Schönberger:

> > database publishing features
>
> I not quite understand what is meant by that? Displaying data lists from
> multiple sources, like databases, spreadsheets, CSV files, something like
> that?

(Semi-)Automatic creation of layouted documents from databases or
spreadsheets, eg catalogs or addressbooks. Very much like a report generator
(as Kugar) but using all the fancy layout features of a DTP program. Examples
would be Ventura Database Publisher or some Xtensions. For German examples
(among other Ventura stuff) see http://www.dtp-service.com/ventura/beispiele/

> Table support, i.e. you define your 10x15 table, where each cell can be
> referenced in calculations?

Yes.

> Again, some kind of border case, which can not easily be handled by KParts.
>
> > version control and diff features,
>
> IMHO outside the scope of a publishing application.

Not if you work in a group (or would like to know, as an author, what a
publisher does to your work).

> Implemented per
> application because there is no existent shared functionality.
> Could (or rather should ;)) be part of a KOffice infrastructure?

Would be great, of course.

> > support for external texts and pictures,
>
> I think I understand external pictures. What is external text and what is
> it needed for?

The need is surely not as urgent as with keeping pictures external (just think
of the file size of a bigger book with many pictures if you have to embed
them all into the publication file). But again: If you are working in a group
or have to regularly update a standard set of texts you may want to do that
in your favorite WP or editor and automatically get an updated version in the
DTP program which often is meant to just collect a lot of elements that are
created elsewhere and bring them into a professional shape.

> > elaborate spell-checking and hyphenation features
>
> Should be shared functionality in KOffice

Fine (altough you probably wouldn't need high-end features like mulit-line
hyphenation, avoid hyphenation on page and column end etc. in KSpread).

> So the basic "layoutable" components are
> - Paragraph
> - Frame
> - Character
> - Page
> - Rule

... and tables in Ventura 10. These are the "taggable" layout elements, ie
those which can have be set globally via styles. There are others which
(sometimes strangely) have no "tags" at all and can be only set locally, such
as fills and colors. But they are also "layoutable" components.

Regards,

Thomas

--
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org