List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Questions about printing in KWord?
From:       Philipp =?iso-8859-1?q?M=FCller?= <philipp.mueller () gmx ! de>
Date:       2002-11-18 17:55:28

Am Montag, 18. November 2002 17:24 schrieb David Faure:
> > I think that at first each KOffice application should be able to choose
> > its print mode. I have the feeling that we will have to fix the problems
> > application per application.
>
> Sounds good, if apps indeed have to be fixed to work with such a setting.

If you mean like having to adjust KSpread to be able to use more than 72dpi,
than this is purely on my todo list (and indeed, this is KSpread specific, an
app must be able to use higher resolution and then "zoom" the content down).

> > Can KPrinter never return the true resolution (even in CUPS mode?)
>
> Think about remote printers. Think about non-CUPS. Think about printing
> to a PS file and then printing that PS file.....
>
> > 600 dpi is good but inkjets have resolution like 360 dpi. So we will
> > again have Moiré problems. (Well, it is not really Moiré, it is just
> > additional black or dark lines.)
>
> Lars told me this would be ok, and no such problem would happen. Simply
> because the PS file is "interpreted" at the correct resolution by the
> printer driver, no? It's not as if we were talking to the printer
> directly...

Why not using the printer resolution if it's higher than 600dpi and otherwise
have it default to 600dpi (or 300dpi, if you like).
This way, we would be able to use high resolutions for printer/services that
supports it and don't bloat the print job with hight resolution always.

Okay, I don't know if the "broken" resolution information from Q/KPrinter is
then always below 300.

At least we should give the user the oppertunity to use the high resolution (I
checked the KPrinter docu, there is no dedicated high resolution mode -  only
the normal kprinter resolution).

Philipp