On Friday 08 November 2002 10:13 am, T.J. Mather wrote: > Hi, > > I have been thinking about writing an Excel Export > filter using Apache POI. It is very difficult to develop > filters for MS Excel files, and it should be much easier to > write an maintain a filter that re-uses an widely used > and developed library (POI has several developers). The > catch is that the MS Excel filter would depend on GCJ 3.2 > or greater, but as all the major distros (Mandrake, Redhat, etc) have > moved to GCC 3.2, I see this issue going away with time (especially > considering how much time it would take to develop a filter > as good as the POI library with such limited resources that > KOffice has). What is Apache POI? I've never thought about mixing Java code with C++ code for a C++ program. Isn't that messy to do that? Is there parts of KOffice doing that? I know Java pretty well (it's what I use at work), but I don't feel like using it on KDE. So, you guys believe it's a bad idea to write a filter from scratch? I've never done that, neither looked any code from KOffice, so I may have no clue where I'm going... _______________________________________________ koffice-devel mailing list koffice-devel@mail.kde.org http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/koffice-devel